The Better Business Bureau
Serving East Alabama, West and Southwest Georgia
Presents the 9th Annual
Students of Integrity Scholarship Contest
Attention high school juniors and seniors: 500 words may be all that stands between you and a $500 scholarship…
That’s right! A 500 – 750 word essay could score you a $500 scholarship! Get a little cash for your college education and be acknowledged for your outstanding morals and ethics… this will look great on your resume!
The winners will receive a $500 scholarship for books, school supplies, dorm supplies, and other college expenses. Each winner will be recognized as a Student of Integrity at the BBB Annual Meeting, to promote the importance of ethical behavior among today’s youth. The contest is open to high school juniors and seniors in the local Better Business Bureau 42-county area.
Grade point average will not be considered! We just want to hear how trust, ethics and integrity influenced a good decision you have made. Read the guidelines below and start writing... the sooner you submit the better!
Essay Contest Facts, Rules, and Submission Guidelines:
*Entries that do not meet submission guidelines will be disqualified.
1. Entrants: High school juniors or seniors in the 2013-2014 school year, who will attend a college/ university or trade school no later than 2015. Students must be residing in one of the 42 counties served by this BBB . One entry allowed per student. Immediate family members of employees, its Board of Directors, contest judges or program sponsors are not eligible to enter.
2. Theme: An ethical decision regarding work, family, school or community.
- Choices faced for solving the issue
- Decision and results
- Affect on you and others involved
- How your personal philosophy of ethics, trust and integrity guided your actions
3. Length: No fewer than 500 words and no more than 750 words.
4. Title: To be added by the student and is not included in the total word count.
5. Format: Word processed on a single-sided 8 ½ x 11-inch paper using 12 point Times New Roman font, 1” margins, double-spacing and numbered pages. Do not include name on essay.
6. Deadline: Friday, January 17, 2014 (dates are subject to change). Late entries will not be judged.
7. Submission: Entries will be accepted by U.S. mail (500 12th Street, Columbus, GA 31902) or email (email@example.com). If emailed, send as attached word document and attached entry form. Lost/ late/ missing entries are entrant’s responsibility.
8. Plagiarism: Must be solely the work of the student. Brief quotations, if properly documented, may be included in the essay.
9. Receipt of Reward: The winner and parent(s) or guardian(s) will be asked to attend the Better Business Bureau Annual Luncheon and Awards Ceremony on Monday, February 10, 2014 (dates are subject to change). Due to the number of entries, the BBB can only notify winners.
The BBB will sponsor independent judging for the contest. Judges will evaluate the essay for:
- Understanding of ethical behavior.
- Understanding of how well the student understands ethical conflict and decision-making.
- Student’s own serious reflection on the question.
- Logical organization, focus and reasoning.
- Correct spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Upload the Entry Form Here